All About Copper Catalysts!

Hey everyone,

welcome to my July post!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve been at my college for the past 8 weeks working in the lab on a research project (with the help of one of my chemistry professors). I’ve been synthesizing and experimenting with combinations of copper chlorides and two ligands, di-2-pyridyl ketone and 2,2′-dipyridylamine. Below, I’ve posted a video of my talk, which explains what I’ve been working on from the ground up…I hope the audio/video quality is sufficient*. This might be the closest I ever get to a TEDtalk : P

Go forth subscribers! Learn!

Also, the video can be enlarged if you view it on youtube. There’s a button in the lower right hand corner that will bring you to youtube.

*Also, big thanks to my mom for holding the camera. Also, also…I actually do have a crystal structure of the 1:2 Cu(I)Cl:dpK molecule now. The research lives on!

See (?) you in August.

-Ashley Baker

Sources:

The Case of a Cu4 Rhombus in Molecular Magnetism. Vasilis Tangoulis,†, Catherine P.  Raptopoulou, Sofia Paschalidou, Alexandros E. Tsohos, Evangelos G. Bakalbassis, Aris Terzis, and, and Spyros P. Perlepes Inorganic Chemistry 1997 36 (23), 5270-5277

Synthesis and x-ray structure of  a bis-(di-2-pyridyl ketone) platinum(IV) compound,Pt(DPK-O-OH)2[PF6]2. Robert M. Granger, II†; Ana Ciric*; Katherine N. Crowder* and Phillip E. Fanwick¥. Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2005, 1, 139

Synthesis of Pt(dpk)Cl4 and the Reversible Hydration to Pt(dpk-O-OH)Cl3âH-phenCl: X-ray, Spectroscopic, and Electrochemical Characterization. Katherine N. Crowder, Stephanie J. Garcia, Rebekah L. Burr, J. Micah North, Mike H. Wilson, Brian L. Conley, Phillip E. Fanwick,† Peter S. White,‡ Karl D. Sienerth,* and Robert M. Granger, II*. Inorg. Chem. 2004, 43, 72-78.

Ashley Baker. Copyright 2013. All Rights Reserved.